Thursday, January 3, 2013

Artforum video section, q.v.

ArtForum's video page.
They've got a little bit of everything and lately a lot of Robert Hughes, carving his old fashioned pronouncements in stone (almost always right, but the address is dated.)
I've been listening to a lot of artists talk about their own work and my favorites are always the simple stuff. When they say they like red and yellow together or their early work was mostly to tick off their teacher at SAIC or they could copy anything but didn't know what to do with it. (Marilyn Minter, this last, in a lecture at the Hammer.)

Maybe they'll throw in a little ArtSpeak or a Walter Pater allusion, but generally short words and sincere statements about likes and problems, that's what hooks me.
So when I'm directing a studio visit video, I try to steer them that way. If they insist you can't understand their work without taking a position on indexicality, oh all right.

And the artist interviews on Artforum's video page have those revelations.
Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment